Thursday, January 28, 2010

BEING PART OF AN INTERNATIONAL CHURCH



I have been a resident of Seattle for 25 years. I have only been to one other country, Canada. To call me a local would be an understatement. This Christmas I will be with a church comprised mostly of international origins. So how have I come to be a dedicated member of such a diversified church?

Being Part of an International Church


Three years ago I was an unchurched and unhappy guy looking for something else in my life. I worked in a factory. I dreamed to change my life for the better. I became friends with a co-worker who introduced me to Hope Church Seattle.




I went because I needed to do something different with my life. The thing I noticed immediately was an abundance of cultural diversity. The love of God was present, so was the love of friendship. I saw that I was not being judged, but was the one doing the judging.

Love among cultural diversity

As soon as I let go of the differences, I began to experience being a member of a loving church. Being a part of this church gave me several blessings. I enjoy being truly able to help people become accustomed to a new city and culture. I am part of a growing faith community to which I can be of service.

Finally, to be able to be taught by people who have an attitude of supportive growth and change, not only for their lives but also for their spiritual growth.




First Christmas caroling with church


The first Christmas that I was with the church we went caroling. It was surprising that an international based church made this their yearly custom, given that I thought this was very scarce. I had only read about this in history books, and did not realize how hard it was, as well as how rewarding it was. Caroling helped me to really appreciate the meaning behind Christmas, as well as having the gift of so many people to spend it with. Experiences like these help me to reaffirm that I am with the right church.

A new life in Christ

Coming from a country that was founded by Catholic values, an idea of God and Christ has floated in and out of my earlier life.

Having a relationship with people who have found Christianity as a new and rescuing spiritual path gives a renewed sense of dedication to God. When God led me to this church, it was the right timing and the right atmosphere. Looking back, without the help of God, and a good church, I would not have made it.




Commitment in the local church

Today God continues to give me reasons not only to stay but also to continue serving in his name.

The first opportunity I had to serve was washing dishes, which later turned to bringing the drum set to and from the worship venue every Sunday. I have found that keeping these commitments, even in tough times can add to your spiritual foundation. Many experiences like these help me to reaffirm that I am with the right church.

Fulfilling God-given dreams



I stick with this church because they are different, they have a want to know a new and loving God, and they are the kind of people I would like to be with. You can be surprised by what God will lead you towards, and what kind you dream you can accomplish if you can dedicate your time to helping and being part of your local church.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Andrew Bodey
www.hopeNA.org

 
[Click here to unsubscribe from Advance Newsletter] Free Counters from SimpleCount.com